On July 21, a crowd of nearly 5 thousand Armenians rallied outside of the Consulate General of the Republic of Azerbaijan. A group of 50 Azerbaijani American held a peaceful counter-protest expressing discontent against the actions of the Armenian military on the Armenia-Azerbaijan international border. The Armenian protesters chanted various insults against Azerbaijani people. Los Angeles Police Department was brought to the scene to control the protests and maintain law and order. During the protest several Armenian cars drove by spitting insults at Azerbaijani protesters. By the time the protest ended, the situation got out of control. LAPD did not have enough people to control the Armenian crowd, and decided to walk the Azerbaijani protesters out of the area. This is when the protest turned violent. Armenian youth broke through the police lines and as a result:
- One police officer was injured during a large demonstration staged by the Armenian group.
- Los Angeles Police Department Officer Mike Lopez stated that the police officer suffered a laceration and hospitalized for treatment.
- Thousands of Armenians showed aggression by physically attacking 50 Azerbaijanis who are less in terms of the number of people.
- Seven Azerbaijani protesters were injured, four were hospitalized with one reportedly being in critical condition.
- An Azerbaijani woman has been stomped by several Armenians who also robbed her by taking her phone.
This isn't your average fight. This is a hate crime in the 21st century in the middle of Los Angeles. The perpetrators must be brought to justice. In accordance with the penal code 422.55 PC of California, this incident must be investigated as a hate crime.